Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Shop Class

We are very thankful for Katie's school. It seems that in Ontario they still offer those fun electives that we remember. Katie has taken shop class all year and has come home with some beautiful projects. The cutting board was first and then came the box. It was fun to hear her use words like Drill Press and Ban Saw, Planer, Sander and Table Saw. She even used a Dado blade.
It was all a little foreign to me, but Ken has enjoyed talking with her about all the tools and methods that she has learned about.
Katie has also been able to take "Food and Nutrition".
(We used to call it home economics).
The difference is that, even though they have a class room set up for cooking, they cook very little at school. Lately she has had homework assignments where she has had to make something at home and then we evaluate it. It is a wonderful system!
Gingerbread Muffins!!


The assignment: Breakfast food. She made French Toast with vanilla and cinnamon.
Love having Breakfast for Dinner!


It is too bad they didn't have these sorts of classes when Lisa was in high school. But then again, I don't remember "Fashion" as ever being one of those electives.

2 comments:

Mrs. Brown said...

I love cinnamon and vanilla french toast and I love Lisa's outfit! ( I totally wear those combinations or used too :) )

Aly sun said...

I love Katie's classes. Can I send my girls there for a lesson? Such a treat.

PS Katie, I love the wood projects. Grandpa Harv would be so proud of you.